If you enjoy sitting around your fireplace while the temperatures continue to drop outside, then you must keep it properly maintained to ensure its longevity.If you don’t use it correctly, you put yourself and all the occupants in your home at risk. Some of the most common causes of fires in your home can be easily avoided if you follow some simple steps.
- Yearly Maintenance Checks
It is essential to keep your chimney clean if you use a fireplace in your home. Debris starts to accumulate in the chimney if not properly maintained and this can become a fire hazard when left alone. Chimney specialists in Hampshire, Sussex, South London and Kent are on hand to examine and maintain your chimney all year round if you live in the area.
It is also important to regularly check your flue to see if there is anything blocking the structure, this is a difficult place to clean and it can only be accessed by a professional chimney sweep. They’ll have the right type of tools for the job.
- Burn the Right Materials
If you’re running out of safe combustibles such as seasoned wood, it is tempting to use other wood which is still green or even trash that is lying around. If you throw green wood onto your fire it will produce a lot more smoke that its seasoned counterpart, not to mention you won’t get as much heat. The smoke produced burning fresh wood also causes additional creosote and soot, this accumulates in your flue and needs to be removed to ensure safety.
Burning trash like paper or plastic in your fire is even worse than fresh wood, fresh wood will cause your fire to smoke excessively, but trash will produce dangerous chemicals. These chemicals won’t just disperse through the chimney, they’ll also find their way into your home. If you don’t want to expose your family to toxins, then don’t dispose of items like coloured paper or plastic in your fireplace.
- Always Use a Fire Screen
If you’re feeling a little chilly, you may be tempted to remove the fireplace screen to get additional heat into your body. But, removing the screen won’t make any difference when it comes to improving the amount of heat circulating through your room. A screen is installed as a protective barrier between the fire and your home. If you’ve kids in the house, you’ll need a solid screen to protect them from any injuries. The screen will also protect your floor and furniture from anything that unexpectedly jumps out of the fire. If you’ve new sofas or carpet in your living room, the last thing you want is a spark hitting them from the fire.
This article has mentioned 3 important ways to keep your home safe from fire hazards. You should always have your chimney and fireplace inspected at least once a year to identify any risks. It is important to burn the correct type of material in your fire and always remember to use a fire screen.