Are you wondering about how to finish your basement ceiling? Is it not a problem for you to recruit your friends and find time for DIY? Are you confirmed to save money and have a drop ceiling project on your own? Do you consider it is a better idea? Do you believe that the sum of a drop ceiling is nearly the same as the cost of a drywall ceiling? However, the savings are slim to none and your tries to create a budget can be a very difficult task, if you are not familiar with construction estimating or cannot predict how much it costs to finish your basement. Look at my review here to find out why I have chosen drywall.
- If you are hiring a crew of drywall pros to do the walls (which is highly recommended) thenit’s not a much more to have them do the installation of ceiling as well.
- In newer houses, a drywall ceiling costs about the same or even cheaper than a suspended ceiling. This is because the real cost of drywallinga basement ceiling deals with framing around the wires and pipes installed below the joists. In the last 10-15 years almost all pipes and wiring are installed above the bottom of the joist, as a result, there is no additional framing.
- With a drop ceiling you will lose 4-5 inches of room height. If you have a low basement ceiling it does not sound rosy to make it even lower. I do not like feeling claustrophobic or hitting my head on a ceiling.
- The most popular point of preference to drop ceilings is easy access to the pipes, wires and other systems. With a hand on your heart, how often are you going and what for do you need access to a leaky pipe? Drywall is not that hard to cut out and replace.
- Real estate agents confess that a drop ceiling in your basement will negate some of the home equity.
- Additional moisture in the basement air is not a good companion for a drop ceiling. Do you dream of sagging ceilings in future as the tile absorbs that moisture and begins to get weighted down?
- Installation of drop ceiling is a fairly big and hard project. The biggest issue is leveling. At least you need to buy and a laser level.